Arthritis is a progressive, invalidating disease that develops due to a variety of reasons, one of them is age. As our pet gets old, its articulations degenerate. Other causes which lead to arthritis are: obesity, trauma, autoimmune diseases, malformations and genetic predisposition, such as the German Shepherd, the Golden Retriever, the Grate Dane or the Daschund.
Arthritis affects cats and dogs equally, specially at old age. As a preventive, palliative aid, health supplements are of great help. These must contain at least one of these ingredients, or all of them for best results:
- Glucosamine sulphate, which gives elasticity to the cartilage.
- Chondroitin sulphate and collagen, both give elasticity and flexibility to connective tissues.
- Hyaluronic acid, which lubricates articulations and helps to absorb impact. In arthritis, hyaluronic acid is found to be greatly reduced.
- Methylsulfonylmethane, or MSM, used successfully in human supplements to reduce the symptoms of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, tendinitis, bursitis, osteoporosis, and the like.
- Boswellia serrata, its effect is similar to non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side-effects, like stomach upset.
- L-glycine, essential for the immune system and wound healing. Deficiency symptoms include: fragile cartilage, bones and tendons, slow wound healing and poor immune response.
These active ingredients along with low impact exercise can greatly improve skeletal degeneration and its symptoms.